Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hiroshima Food

This is a Hiroshima style okanomiyaki. It's a Japanese pancake with noodles, veggies, and meat. I have never heard of this before so it was new to me. The first place I went to allowed you to make your own. The waiter asked if I'd like to have the cook make it for me since I had never done so, but being bull headed I insisted on making my own, following directions left for me in Japanese. =)

My seat at the restaurant

instructions, only in japanese of course

The raw ingredients.... I'm ready to make some okanomiyaki!!!!!!

So far so good..... doesn't it look good? I'm making it!!!!!

DOH!


Trying to salvage my okanomiyaki... I made it look like brains.

Ok, so disaster struck when I flipped it and I destroyed mine... but it still tasted good. =)


Take 2
I went again the next day to a different location to get some more so I could taste it for real. They made it for me, here are some pictures.


Okanomiyaki done right! Delicious!

It's really good. =) Yum.

In case you're wondering what makes this Hiroshima style it's the addition of noodles and the layering of ingredients. For example, Osaka style okanomiyaki mixes up all the ingredients and puts them on the pancake part; Osaka style also does not include noodles. You'll see the Osaka style okanomiyaki when I post on it.

I'm in Phuket Thailand right now.... and writing this post has made me hungry from some Hiroshima style okanomiyaki!!! I can't get it in Thailand though!!!!!! =(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum! let's go when you're back! it's more fun in a group cause then we can try more variety!