Friday, May 15, 2009

Singapore Day 2: Kwan Im Temple and Sri Krishnan Temple

After getting my fill of window shopping for computer stuff I started heading off for the Civic District. Along the way I bumped into some temples on Waterloo Street: The Kwan Im Temple and the Sri Krishnan Temple.

The Kwan Im Temple is a Buddhist temple dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy. It has existed since 1884, though it did undergo some reconstruction in 1895. It is one of the major temples in the area and recieves thousands of visitors. Worshiping here is supposed to bring good luck to the worshiper.

Rub the Buddha for luck!




Sri Krishnan Temple was built in 1870 and is right next to the Kwan Im Temple. It is dedicated to Sri Krishnan. Unfortunately I don't know much about the temple. I did see Chinese people light sticks at the temple as well. I saw some where online that this is the reason you'll find an alter dedicated to Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy.

A tent was covering the entrance so the pictures are not very good.





No comments: