Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 2: Pantheon

The Pantheon was built in 126 AD and is still a functioning church. I think it is so amazing that something built so long ago is still in total functional use today. In addition the Pantheon had the largest dome in the world until the completion of Brunelleschi's dome at the Florence Cathedral in 1436. It is still the largest unenforced dome in the world though. I just find that so remarkable.

I met this nice Korean architect student while I was in Rome. Her English wasn't very good and my Korean is limited to only a few words, but that was enough for her to strike up a short friendship. She had come to Rome to see first hand some the architecture she studied in school but had become very homesick. Truth be told, I believe she was not enjoying Europe at all which might be why just saying hello in Korean worked. Anyway she told me her professor recommended that she spend a whole day at the Pantheon studying and admiring it. I think that gives you an idea of just how well respected this building is.

The Pantheon
The dome of the Pantheon.
The Pantheon is still an activc church.
The tomb of the famous renaissance artist Raphael along with some Japanese tourists doing some weird pose.

I also stopped by Piazza d Pietra on my way back.

This ended my second day in Rome. As you can see starting from my first Day 2 entry, it was one hell of day which involved a ton of walking. My feet were killing me, but unlike in Asia, I could not find a cheap foot massage... or even just foot massages in Europe.

No comments: