Thursday, June 25, 2009

Singapore Day 4: Chinatown Temples

Almost a month between posts... and my asia tour trip has been over for quite some time now. Sorry for the delays... if you're still following me. I promise to finish it all up soon.

My 4th day in Singapore was pretty relaxing. I felt I had seen most of what I wanted to already so my plan was just to explored two temples: The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and The Sri Marianmman Temple. Both of these temples were in Chinatown and only minutes away from my hostel. I had walked by them plenty of times already by this point, so it was about time I dropped in for a visit.

The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple & Museum
The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple .... eh, I didn't think it really stood out. I also some how missed the Buddha Tooth Relic. Hahahaa. Oh well.
The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple & Museum




100 Buddhas



Monks Chanting



Sri Marianmman Temple
The Sri Mariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu Temple in Singapore, having been constructed in 1827. It has played an important role in the history of Hindus in Singapore. Early on it was a shelter for Indian immigrants. It was also the only Hindu temple who priests were vested wit the authority to marry people. The temple is dedicated to the Mother Goddess Sri Mariamman so people come here for her healing powers.


Warning the next picture is NSFWNotice anything inappropriate by western standards in this ceiling art? How about his um...








No comments: