Sunday, December 21, 2008

Travel Days Suck. Heading Home.

I hate travel days. They are long and tiring. You would think they're not a big deal, but when you're really traveling and have no schedule you get really used to waking up whenever you want. On travel days you often have to wake up early so you have to set an alarm. I hate alarms and I really dislike set schedules now that I've spent the majority of the last 4 months without schedules.

Going to the airport is a pain because you need to get there at least 2 hours early for international flights, though I prefer 3 hours early. Then you have to give yourself enough time to get to the airport. In many cities the airport is not that close and can take a while to get there. Making matters worse is the fact that you probably have no idea how long it will take so you give yourself even more wiggle room. I've asked hostel workers before, but generally in poor countries these people never leave their own country so they never go to the airport and thus do not give you the correct information (see my entry on Crazy Taxi).

You'd think just sitting there doing nothing would be nice, but it's difficult to get proper rest on a plane or a train or a ship. I've done all 3 and the ship was the best. Overnight trains stop a lot, and sometimes you have to get out in the middle of the night to go through customs.

I think the combination of waking up early and not getting proper rest just saps all your energy away. When I get to a new city the first thing I usually do is not sight see but rest. Maybe I'm just a lazy bastard but it's great being a lazy bastard.

Anyway as I type this I head home for Christmas. I'll spend about a 7 hour layover in Seoul, South Korea before flying back to the States. I didn't go to Korea so maybe I can count this? Ok, I know, that would be cheating. I won't be able to leave the airport but maybe I can get some good Korean BBQ.

I finally decided to head home because I've been wanting to just settle into a place for a while now and of course my funds are drying out. It'll be nice to relax in one place I think. Site seeing was starting to get a little old, as in very special places and things start to become just another place or thing, so I think it's time.

I don't know what will happen once I get home. We're in a terrible financial crisis so we'll see. I'm sure work will be hard to come by but I'll worry about that after the holidays. I have no regrets about leaving my previous job. I hated the place. I consider this trip an investment in life and I think it was well worth it. It certainly gives you perspective and a greater appreciation of what I have already. American, even in hard times, is still better off than most. Material things are just things. You can be happy without them, you can be really happy living with just 38 liters of stuff. =)

There's more in Asian I'd love to see. I'd love to go to the Philippines and swim with whale sharks, I totally missed out on India (bombing in Mumbai scared me off) but mostly if I come back to Asia I'd prefer to pick one place and just relax there. I'd really like to see South America next. All the Europeans tell me to explore Europe when I'm old because you can when you're old (unlike say trekking through jungles or climbing all over Angkot Wat) and it's expensive.

When I get home I'm going to get a double double (Cheeseburger), fries, and a shake! I've been dying for one. I'm also dying for some good American Breakfast! Pancakes! Anyway I will continue updating my blog until I've covered all the places I've been, so stay tuned!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: