Sunday, March 14, 2010

Masjid Jamek

The first mosque I visited was Masjid Jamek. It was located very close to my hostel, maybe about a 5 minute walk away.

Masjid Jamek is one of the oldest mosques in Kuala Lumpur (KL). It was built in 1909 by a British Engineer named Arthur Benison Hubback. It served as KL's main mosque until the National Mosque Masjid Negara was built.

Entrance to Masjid Jamek.


If you are showing your knees, shoulders, hair if you're a woman, or anything else that's inappropriate you will need to cover yourself with one of these robes. I had to wear one due to my shorts.

Some info on the mosque.

People come in here to pray. No shoes inside.

This woman tourist had to cover herself with a robe and scarf so she could walk around.

You'll see quite a bit of these stations in mosques, at least I did in Kuala Lumpur. They are feet washing stations. The foot is considered one of the dirties parts of the body in the Islam religion I think (and agnostically speaking, everyone considers feet dirty) so you gotta wash them dirty feet before you step in god's house! Well.... that's my guess.





Sounds from the Mosque.

This pamphlet was available in the mosque for visitors. It's written in english so I assume it's targeted towards outsiders or non-Muslim Malay in Malaysia. So I guess Christian get ready to be pissed out! Here it is: the pamphlet about Jesus Christ being a Prophet of Islam.

Inside the pamphlet.

Outside the pamphlet.

No comments: