Monday, January 5, 2009

Damneon Saduak Floating Market

From Bangkok you can take a side trip to Damneon Sadauk for their floating market which is where I went on 11/8/08. Supposedly this is a great place for pictures if you get there really early in the morning before the hoards of tourists show up (stay there the night before). I wouldn't know because I got there after 9 AM and found it super touristy. The actual market itself is accessible by boat. You can buy food and souvenirs there. Most of the items sold now are just junk for tourists, but you can still get some yummy foods there. Try the coconut pancakes, eggrolls, noodles, and whatever else looks good to you. Buy hats, fans, clothes and figurines: everything from Muay Thai figures, robots, to adult toys.

If you head to the Bangkok Bus station you'll be able to get a cheap fare there, but you can also get a trip from Taxi drivers and hotel packages. These packages will include trips to the Elephant show, crocodile farm, and other tourists attractions. The animal shows did not appeal to me so I just took the bus to the market.

I'd have to say that going here once was enough. If I ever go to Thailand again I'd skip this. It's just too touristy to be considered something special in my opinion. I certainly do not fault the Thai people for trying to make money; if this is the best way for them to make money so be it.

On my way to the floating market


floating market


Coconut Pancake

eggrolls

selling mostly junk

passing money into a cup on a stick


cooking noodles on a boat for me

noodles

cooking on a boat

Get a picture with a snake

No comments: