Monday, November 12, 2012

Fira Old Port

Whether you are going to take a boat cruise around the Volcano or a view of the Oia sunset from a ship you'll need to get to the Old Port of Fira.  You can get down there three ways.  The easiest and non-smelly way is to take the cable car; a one way ticket costs 4 euros per person.  You may also take a donkey ride down the 5 or 600 steps down.  These are rather large steps covered in donkey excrement, yuck, talk about smelly.  The last way is to actually walk these steps...  If you choose to walk I recommend you use shoes that you plan to throw away.  The smell afterwards doesn't ever really leave your shoes.  Interestingly I learned that people that work at the shops at the Old Port take the cable car everyday.  They get a reduced rate but must purchase a pass for an extended period of time making it not worthwhile for tourists.

 Entrance to the cable car





 The Old Port of Fira.

 My arch-nemesis of Santorini: The Donkeys.... laying booby traps for me on every step!

 Old Port from the Cable car.

 Fira

 The donkeys bringing tired tourists back to Fira.

Cable car station at the bottom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vince,
As always, I enjoy reading your blog and your style of writing.

You and I communicated a while ago. Would you mind contacting me at ljohn337@yahoo.com for a few questions that I have?

I would greatly appreciate it.

John Lee

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't write anymore, I really enjoy your blog. By the way have you seen this interesting article?

http://voices.yahoo.com/turtleology-101-travel-witout-any-bags-12069586.html?cat=16