Sunday, October 31, 2010

A quick walk by Englischer Garden

Englischer Garden is a park in the middle of Munich. It's one of the larger urban parks in the world, bigger than New York's Central Park. It's recommended as one of the places to see in Munich, but it wasn't very high on my list. I had already booked my ticket to Prague and was planning to just relax on my last night in Munich but a Dutch guy I met named Robin convinced me to take a quick walk through part of the Garden before I left.



What convinced me to go was Robin told me he saw people surfing in the park earlier. By now it was already night and nobody would be surfing but I had to see the place where people surf. It turns out there's an artificial wave produced by a pump and people surf on that wave. Too bad I didn't see this during the day with people actually surfing.


The wave people in Munich surf on.

There are other attractions in the park: a Chinese Pagoda beer house, a Japanese Tea House and Garden built to celebrate the 1972 Olympics, people sun bathing in the nude during the spring time, and more. I'll let you look that up in wikipedia.

Anyway, I didn't see much, but I'm glad I got to see the wave where people surf.

No comments: