Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Singapore: Fort Canning Park

Yes yes, it's been over a year and I still haven't caught up on my blog? Shameful..... well I'm still trying.

On my last full day in Singapore I went to visit the Fort Canning Park. It is here where the British lost Singapore to the Japanese in World War 2 on Feb 15, 1942. The fort is a nice peaceful park area where you can escape the hustle, bustle, and noise of the rest of Singapore. You can visit the Battle Box, the British base of operations during WW2, take different walks which explore Singapore's history and archeology, or read about the vegetation on the signs posted along the paths.

The Battle Box Brochure.

Battle Box Map

Stairs up to the fort.

Fort Canning Park Map.



Raffles Terrace.



South Battery Cannon.


14th Century Walk - one of the informative walks at Fort Canning Park, I took this walk.


Map of the 14th Century Walk.

I think this was the Fort Gate... but I can't remember.



View of the city from the park.

Cupolas




A sally port at the Battle Box.. the command center for the British in Singapore.

Battle Box Entrance.

I walked in and was greeted with this sad looking manikin of a british solider.

Walk past that manikin down those stairs and you can tour it... only it was closed when I got there. Drat.

Tickets to the Battle Box can be bought here.

Keramat

Keramat

No comments: