Thursday, April 30, 2009

Singapore Day 1: Orchard Street

Orchard Street is the big shopping street in Singapore. It has all the expensive stores, malls, and restaurants as well. I walked through the street, in the hot sticky and humid night but didn't eat at any of those places. I figured I was backpacking and maybe I could enjoy these more luxurious things another time on a different kind of trip.

It was approaching Christmas time (these pictures are from 11/27/08) and Singapore was getting ready for it. Orchard street was lined with extravagant decorations everywhere despite not being a Christian country. Over 42% of Singapore is Buddhist and only 14% is Christian so Christmas is basically purely commercial... though I'd argue that's what is back home as well only we pretend it's about Jesus Christ. Well there's no pretending here, it's shop for fun and for friends and family. Singaporeans remind me a bit of Hong Kong people, they like to eat and shop for fun.

Christmas decorations in Singapore.

Christmas decorations in Singapore.

Christmas decorations in Singapore.

Christmas decorations in Singapore.

One of the expensive stores along Orchard Street. Ladies... this one's for you.

A small stand selling cheap curry. I got one and liked it.

Interestingly as I walked around the streets I heard birds chirping. I thought they were just in the trees or something like that. However I continued to hear them all the way down the street, the same exact chirps. I looked around the trees and there was no bird poop below or within the vicinity of the trees (or anywhere for that matter). I think Singapore is so strict about cleanliness that they don't want real birds in their trees so there won't be bird poop around. Instead I think they may have used speakers that play the sound of birds to make the area pleasant for people! I don't know... maybe I'm crazy. It's just a hypothesis, I don't know for real.
Singapore... litter free. Yep, except for 2 places.

Shop lifting is dangerous! The police cannot help you! Really? Duh.

Christmas decorations in Singapore.

House of Condoms? Kinky Singaporeans?

Wtf?!?! Urban male??? It's a clothing brand! Weird!

No comments: