Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Car Insurance

Getting ready to go can be a big pain. There's a ton you need to take care of before you go. While web surfing I came across a handy tip for how to deal with your car insurance.

If you ask your car insurance to suspend your policy they will tell you that they cannot do so. You need to cancel your policy, but getting back on is no problem, you'll just pay higher rates. Because of this I paid my car insurance in full and took off. What a waste of money. This is what you should do instead:

"Don't ask to suspend the whole policy, ask them to put your car in a non-drivable classification. This would be the same as what you would do if you were going overseas for several months or if you're car was going to need extensive work and was currently un-drivable. My insurance company has done this for me on several occasions including during a multi-month stint in Europe. They only charge something like $5/month when it's in that 'mode'. That way you're policy is still in effect, but you basically have no cars you are driving on it."
This quote is by UncleOxidant, from this link.

I wish I knew about this before I left.

No comments: